John received a spinal injury after being hit by a tree on 11 September 2009. He is still learning how to live with a disability. Before the accident, his knowledge about disabilities was limited. He thought people in wheelchairs only had issues with walking. John hadn’t heard about Dignity Party.
He now has a large group of friends with varying disabilities. And is reading books to gain insights into disabilities other than paraplegia. There are difficulties and obstacles in the world for disabled people.
Advocacy and Dignity Party
John contacted organisations such as Ticketek, Qantas, Norwood Football Club, TFE Hotels and others, in an attempt to make life easier for people with disabilities. Some businesses were sympathetic, and others were not. He turned to the Human Rights Commission for assistance. The advocacy work led him to discover the Dignity Party and became a member. Kelly Vincent, leader of the Dignity Party, has helped people with a disability in South Australia.
Vote for John
John helped the Dignity Party by contesting the seat of Torrens in the 2018 South Australian election. For more information view the campaign blogs below or visit the campaign site here.
- The election is over. So what happened?
- Dignity Party SA – Why I am contesting the seat of Torrens
- The digital divide between the haves and the have-nots. A Video Blog.
- Disability injustices that people face. A Video Blog by John Duthie
- Ticketek Accessible Ticketing – Cannot book tickets online. A Video Blog
- O-Bahn accessibility issues at the tunnel open day
- Minda opens their Modbury Office
- Cedar College Senior School Graduation
- NDIS: Where to? – A vision for Disability Services from 2030
- Faisal Rusdi – Colour of the Journey
- Community Bridging Services – still breathing fresh air
- SCOSA Stampede (Spastic Centres of South Australia)
- Immersion Therapy – ABC Radio Adelaide
- Dignity Party candidates launched by Kelly Vincent in the lower house
- Jocelyn Neumueller – Democratising disability @ Open State
- International Carers Conference – Adelaide SA – 7th anniversary
- Modbury Special School art auction night
- Ten Gigabit City – Australian Computer Society (ACS)
- Dangerous trees – Channel 7 TV program “today tonight”
- Peter Greco Radio station 5RPH (Vision Australia Radio)
- AFL accessible ticketing problem on ABC Radio Adelaide