Advocacy and Dignity Party
Before John’s accident, his knowledge about disabilities was limited. He considered people in wheelchairs only had issues with walking. He soon discovered there are many difficulties, obstacles and roadblocks in the world for people with disabilities.
John contacted organisations such as Ticketek, Qantas, Norwood Football Club, TFE Hotels and others, in an attempt to resolve accessibility issues. Some businesses were sympathetic, and others were not. He turned to the Human Rights Commission for assistance.
The advocacy work led him to discover the Dignity Party and became a member. Kelly Vincent, leader of the Dignity Party, has helped people with a disability in South Australia.
Vote for John
John helped the Dignity Party by contesting the seat of Torrens in the 2018 South Australian election.
It was expected that Dana Wortley (Labor) would retain the seat, and the swing towards Labor was 2%. John’s goal was to receive 5% of the overall vote. He achieved with a share of 5.9%, an increase of 5.4% since the 2014 election.
Visit the 2018 campaign site for John in the seat of Torrens here. Or view his 2018 Dignity Party complain blogs below.
- Adelaide Fringe Accessibility in a powered wheelchair
- How not to travel to the Adelaide Fringe via Adelaide Access Taxis
- The election is over. So what happened?
- Dignity Party SA – Why I am contesting the seat of Torrens
- The digital divide between the haves and the have-nots. A Video Blog.
- Disability injustices that people face. A Video Blog by John Duthie
- Ticketek Accessible Ticketing – Cannot book tickets online. A Video Blog
- O-Bahn accessibility issues at the tunnel open day
- Minda opens their Modbury Office
- Cedar College Senior School Graduation
- NDIS: Where to? – A vision for Disability Services from 2030
- Faisal Rusdi – Colour of the Journey
- Community Bridging Services – still breathing fresh air
- SCOSA Stampede (Spastic Centres of South Australia)
- Immersion Therapy – ABC Radio Adelaide
- Dignity Party candidates launched by Kelly Vincent in the lower house
- Jocelyn Neumueller – Democratising disability @ Open State
- International Carers Conference – Adelaide SA – 7th anniversary
- Modbury Special School art auction night
- Ten Gigabit City – Australian Computer Society (ACS)
- Dangerous trees – Channel 7 TV program “today tonight”
- Peter Greco Radio station 5RPH (Vision Australia Radio)
- AFL accessible ticketing problem on ABC Radio Adelaide