The personal website of John Duthie. Not the famous poker player.
In life, things don’t work out as planned. Commencing at age 44, John was hit by a tree; died; paralysed from the chest down; died again; developed syringomyelia and associated severe pain; betrayed by a friend; went through separation and divorce; attempted self-harm.
But that’s ok. Bad things happen in life. The important thing is how you respond to the circumstances. Good things can happen as a result of the bad times. John has done ok, but it took time, effort and resilience. And more. The photo is from an immersion therapy session with Determined2, where John’s underwater record is now 30 laps. His swimming record now stands at 40 laps, and before the accident could only manage to swim 2 laps!
This website presents a few areas in John’s life, including:
- the blog “WheelchairJohn” shares details of living with a disability as a Christian
- the book project “MY dis ABILITIES” shares the lives of 25 people with a disability or a disorder
- how he ran as a candidate for the Dignity Party in the 2018 SA election
- his memoir “My 0911“
- how his Faith helps him navigate through difficult times
- his Career
- All Blog posts from his Wheelchairjohn blog and his Dignity Party campaign site
John would love to hear from you by contacting him directly here, or by leaving comments on the various posts on this site.
John’s three most recent posts.